Monday, December 1, 2008

Schools as Tribes

2 comments:

Jen said...

The school in the book seemed to have a really strong sense of community with an established mission and traditions. I wonder where our elementary schools are... when Sugartown opened, faculty members from all schools moved; the tribes were shifted. Many of our elementary building leaders are also relatively new leaders in their respective buildings. How can we purposefully reculture the schools and classrooms now that leadership and faculty are relatively stable?

esouders said...

Ganado's culture and tradition embraced the local values of the community. This aspect of their culture ran throughout their core values and I particularly enjoyed the principal's peom. In addition, I found the professional and voluntary focus groups intriging. The fact that they occurred during the school day supported the personal interests of the teachers. How can we value the interests of the teachers within GVSD? Lastly, how do we build a "cohesive culture that gives purpose, vitality, and direction to an effective educational enterprise?"